About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join our Rail team to work in Redhill.
What you'll be doing
- Leading a multi-disciplinary team to the successful completion of the project; to the required specification and quality standard; whilst achieving contract programme milestones, approved margin and cash forecasts;
- To develop a good relationship with the client, ensuring that future contracting opportunities are secured to become Network Rails supplier of choice in Route Buildings and Civils for Periods 6 and 7.
As a Project Manager you will:
- Approve and implement Project Quality Plans, Safety Plans, Work Package Plans, ITPs and Tool Box Talks;
- Ensure that no excavations take place without your direct approval;
- Deliver the contract safely, fostering a positive safety culture;
- Lead team to deliver world class safety performance average 1 close call every 300 man hours, 0 LTIR, 0 RIDDORs, 2 x PGI / Safety Tours per person per month;
- Lead by example to effectively support the company Safety Behavioural Programme including implementation of safety initiatives.
- Be accountable for the safe delivery, execution and financial performance to agreed budget and / or approved forecasts;
- Ensure that systems and processes are implemented to meet Project requirements, including Quality Plans, Design Trackers and ITPs;
- Ensure that robust and accurate cost plans are produced and reported against on a weekly basis.
- Develop and maintain excellent client relationships by effective and timely communication, and producing reports in a timely manner;
- Develop future contracting opportunities with First Group & feed into CRM.
- Ensure that Project Cash entitlement is applied for and recovered in accordance with the contract (before the last day of each month);
- Be responsible for the Operational and Commercial success of allocated projects, ensuring that all activities are carried out in accordance with legal, client and company requirements, policies and instructions;
- Deliver tender margin.
- Attend Southern Region conference calls for planning and wash-up;
- Timely submit internal and external reports; such as Clients Monthly Project Progress, Weekly Pulse, Stage Gate 6 reports and OpCo reports to agreed format;
- Ensure that site records are produced and adequacy of which reviewed on a monthly basis, to include site diaries, plant, labour, material returns and change records as minimum;
- Produce and maintain Project Risk logs identifying mitigation measures to minimise potential impact;
- Ensure that approved Contract Programmes are in place prior to commencement of works and progress monitored on a regular basis;
- Ensure compliance to the mandated Stage Gate Process updated on the Digital Briefcase;
- Proactively support the audit and compliance programme, and timely completion of issues arising.
- Provide effective management of our Subcontractors and Suppliers ensuring compliance to all contractual and safety requirements;
- Ensure weekly reports are submitted to the central Procurement function.
Who we're looking for
- Line Management responsibility for the professional development and training requirements for project staff allocated;
- Determine organisational requirements for team, identifying & brief roles and responsibilities of team members;
- Manage professional development and training activities, implementing PDR process for direct reports;
- Develop Engineering Graduates, Project Management Graduates and Assistant PMs.
Personal Qualities and Experience:
Why work for us
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience in Rail Construction techniques and processes such as in Track and Civil Engineering;
- Proven experience in delivering Rail Systems schemes;
- Personal Track Safety card holder;
- IT skills essential word, excel and power point, email, projects and internet;
- Excellent communication & people skills developing & managing the relationship with the client is a key element to this contract;
- Represent BB in a professional manner, ensuring that own behaviour and behaviour of others is consistent and aligned to the Corporate Values;
- Ability to work under pressure, remaining focused and professional;
- Ability to positively influence others to achieve set objectives and targets;
- Work collaboratively and effectively with others to achieve aligned outcomes.
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.About us
Balfour Beatty Rail Limited is an international leader in rail infrastructure engineering projects and the UK's largest rail engineering and services provider. We offer a full range of rail infrastructure activities from high-speed rail to mass rapid transit, covering urban, rural and commuter routes, for both public and private railways.
For an example of the exciting work our rail teams undertake click here:
[ Link removed ]
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.