The Post: Assistant Shift Charge/Safety Engineer
Reports to: Report to the Shift Charge Engineer.
Under the Shift Charge Engineer the team consists of an Assistant Shift Charge/Safety Engineer, 2 Control Room Supervisors, 2 Generation Plant Operators and 3 Auxiliary Plant
The team is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the boiler, turbine, flue gas treatment and de-mineralisation plant, plus all associated auxiliary plant and generation and export of electricity.
The Assistant Shift Charge/Safety Engineer will be responsible through the S.C.E. for the safety from the system on the EcoPark Site.
He / She will also have a major input in addressing the risk of maintenance on the plant by giving an operational input into the planning system to assess the practical risks of the workings of maintenance/contractors.
Responsible for isolations and/or locking off mechanical and electrical equipment, issue of permits for work and putting back into safe operation all plant in the Energy Centre and the EcoPark site and for fault finding and defect coordination .
- Operate the Safety from the System procedures to target nil near misses or accidents.
- Act as contact Senior Authorised Person for major projects and outages.
- Ensure that all Safety, Quality and Environmental Systems procedures are followed for operating plant on the EcoPark site.
- Safe release of plant and equipment and for the isolation of all electrical and mechanical plant with subsequent issue of Electrical and Mechanical Permits for Work, Sanctions for Test, Permits for Work with Restoration of Motive Power and Certificates of Isolation and Earthing to Contractors, Maintenance Department, and Area Board personnel as required, in accordance with the Company Instructions and Safety Rules.
- Ensure that all agreed routine plant checks and testing are being carried out to the specified frequencies and in accordance with Plant Operating Instructions, and that boiler, turbine, control room and auxiliary plant log sheets are filled in correctly, and at the prescribed frequency.
- Responsible to the Shift Charge Engineer for the reporting of defects which require attention by maintenance and other support departments in accordance with plant procedures.
- Check that the Method Statements and Risk Assessments submitted by Authorised Persons are suitable and sufficient. Provide constructive feedback and assistance on these to improve the standards.
- Administer and Issue Permits for Work for whole EcoPark site
- Carry out H&S Inductions for new Employees and Contractors out of normal hours
- Monitor and register short term contractors within the Energy Centre
- Operate from an EcoPark Permit Office receiving all Contractors and Maintenance personnel and ensuring that their Method Statements, Risk Assessments and authorized person status are appropriate to the work to be performed.
- Confirm that the authorized person status is correct and appropriate for the work to be performed.
- Assist the Shift Charge Engineer in High Voltage switching, Isolation and Earthing operations
- Provide support when necessary to the Shift Charge Engineer in defect rectification and emergencies. When required to do so, deputise for the Shift Charge Engineer
- The jobholder will be required to plan and carry out appropriate training within their area of expertise and also undertake training.
Optimise outages by:-
- Providing operations planning input, which is to monitor and assess risk. Put in place measures to protect Personnel and Plant
- Providing consistent plant outage safety from the system and coordination to safely streamline the outage arrangements and processes.
- Interfacing with the maintenance both internal and contract function for advice on general safety and to optimize maintenance outages in conjunction with Planning and Maintenance Engineers.
- the Energy Centre operations to maintain an informed station management on all Energy Centre operations
- the Duty Shift Charge Engineer on Permit requirements and plant status to ensure consistent approach
- Contractor liaison to ensure minimum downtime and optimum repair and refurbishment.
- Ensuring that cover arrangements are in place for holidays, sickness or other shift changes.
- HNC (Engineering) or equivalent is necessary.
- Minimum of 2 years supervisory experience with demonstrable supervisory skills that, with development, would be suitable for a senior management role.
- NEBOSH Certificate in Health and Safety at Work preferred
- The ability to work effectively as part of the team and assist in the leadership of a shift team
- Good communications skills at all levels
- A commitment to implementing Company policy regarding quality, training and development, health and safety, human resources, etc.
- Detailed technical knowledge and experience of Power Plant operations and in the safe and efficient operation or maintenance of Power Plant
- Sound knowledge of Health and Safety at Work Act and Electrical Special Regulations
- Authorised Person status, working towards Senior Authorised Person status
- Experience of Permit for Work systems and of electrical switching on an integrated grid system.
- Act as a qualified First Aider, holding a current First Aid at Work Certificate.
- A commitment to undertake training as deemed necessary to improve and update knowledge and skills
- A flexible approach to cover for leave and sickness absence, sometimes at short notice
- Sufficiently medically fit to fulfill the duties at different physical levels within the Operating Plant and its ancillaries.
General Conditions applying to this post are:
- All duties must be carried out to comply with
- The Health and Safety at Work Act;
- Acts of Parliament, Statutory Instruments and Regulations and other legal requirements;
- Locally agreed Codes of Practice that are relevant.
- All duties will be carried out in the working conditions normally inherent in the particular job
- All necessary paperwork must be completed
- Duties will be carried out for jobs up to and including those in the same grade, provided such duties are within the competence of the employee
- Equal Opportunities Environment and Quality Policies of the Company must be observed
- There is a commitment to undertake any training to update knowledge and skills and to train other staff as required
- At all times carry out the duties and responsibilities of the post to ensure systems and procedures are maintained to ISO 14001:2004, ISO 9001:2000 and OHSAS 18001:2007 Standards.